When Babylon ARTS, like all the other arts venues up and down the country, closed its doors due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we were left feeling bereft.
We knew it was the right thing to do and of course we wanted to ensure the health and wellbeing of all our visitors and audiences and so even before it became mandatory, the difficult decision was taken.
Amongst many other events and activities, we were about to launch a new exhibition by a local artist, and had a sold-out dance show at The Maltings, which was the culmination of our six-month ‘Leap into Dance’ project.
We were also experiencing a surge in cinema attendance and advance bookings and were looking forward to some great new screenings, including an exclusive (for Ely) event screening with Sir David Attenborough beamed live from the Royal Albert Hall.
Then the pause button was pressed…
Since then I have been feeling more keenly than ever, that the heart of Babylon ARTS is the people we work with; those that experience our events and activities and support our work. My team have been working hard to adapt and respond to the changing situation and our trustees have been there to provide support, insight and guidance - it makes me very grateful. Being relatively new to a chief executive role, I couldn't have previously imagined steering an organsation through a times like these, but then perhaps even those most seasoned chief execs feel the same right now too...
Being disconnected from everyone is sad , but I’m pleased to say there are ways to keep connected and also to help ensure that when we make our ‘come back’, we’ll be ready to welcome you safely and enjoyably into the cinema and gallery, as well as our project activities.
Here are some ways you can keep connected with us and also help us to come back with a flourish!
- Take part in our Together in Isolation Project – You’ll be able to get creative and be part of our online exhibition now and a future one at the Babylon Gallery
- Sign-up to our newsletter. We’re still sharing ideas and opportunities for watching and participating in the arts, whilst remaining safe at home
- Join Babylon ARTS as a Member. From just £28 a year, you’ll be supporting our work as the leading arts charity for the area and you’ll be ready to enjoy the other benefits when we re-open. If you’re already a member, please do keep it up to date – your continued support is hugely valuable to us!
- Consider a donation – If you’ve been enjoying the NT Live screenings on YouTube (now that we’re not able to show them at the Cinema) or have enjoyed a visit to the gallery or cinema in the past. Please consider making a donation, to help ensure our future during this challenging time.
- Finally – let us know if you have any ideas for a creative project that you’d like to see happening now or in the future – we want to be responsive to the community and help make Ely and the wider area a vibrant, exciting and creative place to live and work.
Thank you, we want to be here for you, but can't do it without you!
Image by kirillslov from Pixabay